If you are a U-M researcher interested in sending materials to an outside entity and you determine that you require an MTA based on the criteria in the decision tree (see below), please complete the funded Agreement (UFA) request for outgoing MTA in eResearch, under Proposal Management. For additional information on completing an UFA request. please refer to the UFA Quick Reference Card.

Most lab members are eligible to complete the online submission form (e.g. lab manager, research administrator, graduate student, post-doc, or Principal Investigator), but Principal Investigator (PI) information is required to submit the form and the PI will be notified of the MTA request.

If you are an outside entity interested in receiving material from a researcher at U-M, please contact MichiganMTA@umich.edu and provide information about the materials and the recipient Principal Investigator.

Decision Tree – Outgoing MTA

The following decision tree will assist in determining if an outgoing MTA request is needed.


For U-M Faculty

Information that will need to be provided includes (but is not limited to):

  • Description and amount of material to be sent
  • Name and contact information (including email) of Recipient
  • Funding sources used to generate materials (e.g. PAF ID)
  • IRB Informed Consent and Protocol sections allowing for transfer of human derived materials

Standard Agreements Used by U-M Tech Transfer

Generally, when the material is being sent to another non-profit institution in the United States and is not human derived materials or live animals (rats, mice, etc.), U-M Tech Transfer will use the Uniform Biological Material Transfer Agreement (UBMTA). If needed, U-M Tech Transfer can work with you to develop a customized MTA for your material or, if the material is being provided to a for-profit entity, develop the appropriate license agreement.

Sending Materials Outside of the United States

If you are shipping materials outside of the U.S., the materials may be subject to federal regulation, including export control laws that define the conditions under which certain information, technologies, and commodities can be transmitted to individuals outside of the U.S. (including U.S. citizens that are outside of the U.S.) or in the case of information, to certain foreign nationals within and outside of the U.S. Tech Transfer will review with you conditions that may trigger review of the intended transfer under U.S. export control laws and regulations.

Processing an Outgoing MTA

  • Eligible individual completes the Unfunded Agreement (UFA) request for outgoing MTA in eResearch, under Proposal Management. For additional information on completing an UFA request, please refer to the UFA Quick Reference Card.
  • U-M Tech Transfer reviews MTA request and supporting documents, and contacts PI and/or contact person designated on the form if further information is necessary
  • U-M Tech Transfer drafts an appropriate outgoing MTA and sends it to the outside entity
  • If necessary, U-M Tech Transfer negotiates the MTA terms
  • Upon completion of negotiation (if necessary), the outside entity signs the MTA and sends it to U-M Tech Transfer for final approval
  • U-M Tech Transfer notifies both parties that materials can be transferred and sends a copy of the final agreement for their records

Agreement Negotiations

Negotiation is often the most protracted process and the timeline of MTA processing depends on the extent of negotiation and the timing of the outside entity getting back to us, as well as any compliance issues that need to be resolved prior to approval. You may check the status of your MTA using the Unfunded Agreement (UFA) in eResearch Portal.