Distinguished University Innovator Award
The Distinguished University Innovator Award honors faculty who have made important and lasting contributions to society by developing novel ideas and insights through their research, and then translating them to practice. The Award was established in 2007 by the Office of the Vice President for Research and is supported by endowments from the U-M Office of Research and the Stephen and Rosamund Forrest Family Foundation.
A current member of the tenure/tenure track, research, or clinical faculty, or a team of up to three faculty members. Nominations of outstanding women, minorities and members of other groups historically underrepresented in their disciplines are encouraged.
An honorarium of $5,000 to the individual recipient or shared by the team recipients.
The Distinguished University Innovator(s) will have accomplished one or more of the following:
- Developed a breakthrough idea, process, or technology and demonstrated its transformational potential relative to an otherwise conventionally accepted practice or market;
- Taken a significant innovation developed in the University through to market-readiness, either through partnership with a commercial enterprise, licensing a patent, or by starting a company;
- Demonstrated a new method or means for moving innovations from the University into the private sector through the establishment of partnerships or other relationships that promote the strategic or economic position of the region, state or nation.
Any member of the U-M community may submit a nomination, please include:
- Provide candidate(s) name, title, department, email, and phone
- A one-page narrative describing actions the individual (or team) has taken to promote innovations, technologies or activities to support innovation
- Candidate(s) CV
- Three letters of support from constituents demonstrating the breadth of the individual’s impact on innovation
The nomination deadline is June 11, 2019. Please email your submission as one PDF file to Mark Maynard.
The award selection committee will be appointed by the Vice President for Research.
Announcement of Award
The award recipient(s) will be announced in October. Award recipients must be available to accept the award in person and deliver remarks at Celebrate Invention held Tuesday, October 22, 2019, 1 – 6 pm at the Michigan League Ballroom.
Previous Award Recipients
View a list of previous award recipients for the Distinguished University Innovator Award.