Tech Transfer - University of Michigan

Fueling Economic Development

Agreement Types

Non-disclosure Agreements (NDAs) are often used to protect the confidentiality of an invention as it is being evaluated by potential licensees. NDAs also protect proprietary information of third parties that University researchers need to review in order to conduct research or evaluate research opportunities. U-M Tech Transfer enters into NDAs for University proprietary information shared with someone outside of the University or two way NDAs to enable both partners to share information. The Office of Research & Sponsored Projects (ORSP) manages incoming NDAs as they are related to research contracts.

Option Agreements, or option clauses within research agreements, describe the conditions under which the University preserves the opportunity for a third party to negotiate a license for Intellectual Property. Option clauses are often provided in a Sponsored Research Agreement to corporate research sponsors or are entered into with third parties wishing to evaluate the technology prior to entering into a license agreement.

License Agreements describe the rights and responsibilities of a party related to the use and exploitation of Intellectual Property developed at the University. University license agreements stipulate that the licensee should diligently seek to bring the intellectual property into commercial use for the public good and provide a reasonable return to the University. To assist you in understanding the principles behind the structure of most university technology licenses, refer to our Licensing Principles.

Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs) used for incoming and outgoing materials at the University, are administered by U-M Tech Transfer, and describe the terms under which University researchers and outside researchers can share materials, typically for research or evaluation purposes. Intellectual property rights can be endangered if materials are used without a proper MTA. Please submit requests for MTAs on the eResearch website under UFAs (Unfunded Agreements). Contact Katherine Moynihan or Elaina Zverina for assistance.

Research Agreements describe the terms under wInter-Institutional Agreements describe the terms under which two or more institutions (e.g., between two universities) will collaborate to assess, protect, market, license and share in the revenues received from licensing jointly owned Intellectual Property.hich sponsors provide research support to the University. These are negotiated by ORSP with assistance by U-M Tech Transfer on IP issues.

Printed from: